Sunday, January 8, 2012

Whatever You Are, Be A Good One

Photo found here.

Abraham Lincoln immortalized the words, "Whatever you are, be a good one," as the quote has been published time and time again. Tonight it is that lovely string of words that flows through my head. Today as I sat in church, I asked myself, "Who am I? What do I represent? Do I represent whatever it is well?" As I quickly began listing all of my various labels (Mormon, Wife, Daughter, Sister, Friend, Employee, Student), good ole Abe's words began to cross my mind. Am I a "good one" in regards to all of my labels and definitions. At the age of 21, I can honestly say that I'm still figuring out who I am. Luckily, I know what I stand for and do not feel I have not been hypocritical in regards to those beliefs for the last three years. When I graduated high school and moved to Idaho for school, I told myself there would be no double fronts here. I would be consistently the same person, whether I was in class, at church, amongst friends, or even alone. There would be no hypocrisy or talking the talk, but not walking the walk. Sometimes this is hard, but as we move into a new year, a new start, I am striving to be a better me in all aspects. I am striving to ask myself everyday is what I am doing consistent with being a good ______? And if it is, kudos for me. If not, it's time to reevaluate. It is impossible to perfect. That is something I learned post-high school as well; however, it is possible to be a little better everyday. And that is something I firmly believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment